The past year has taught me that it is very important to ask the right combination of questions when you are trying to decipher a man’s relationship status. It’s so sad that the SBMen I run into (and whom the other women in my social circle run across) require such shenanigans to get an honest answer, but…such is life as a SBF, I guess. So, in case someone reading is having the same issue, and wants to make sure you’re aware of a man’s current relationship status, here’s the list of suggested questions to ask:
1. Are you married?/Do you have a wife?
- Follow-up 1: Are you engaged?/ Do you have a fiancé?
- Follow-up 2: Are you divorced?/ Do you have an ex-wife?
- Follow-up 3: Are you separated?/ Do you hav an estranged wife?
2. Is there a woman out there who thinks she’s [married/engaged] to you?
3. Do you have a girlfriend?
- Follow-up 1: Is there a woman out there who thinks you’re her boyfriend?
- Follow-up 2: Do you have an almost-girlfriend?
- Follow-up 3: Is there a woman who you regularly date ? [note: you may want to define “regularly”]
Sad, isn’t it? Yeah, I know.